Superfood, super-soup or super delicious. Whatever you call it, our new bone broths are perfect for both cats and dogs. Not only are they a delicious topper to your pet’s meal, they have numerous health benefits. After all, there’s a reason (or several) why bone broths are trending for humans and pets alike. Here’s everything you need to know:
What is Bone Broth?
Bone broth isn’t your average dog or cat stock. In fact, there’s a big difference between bone broth and stock. Bone broth is cooked much longer – as a result it’s rich in collagen, amino acids and other beneficial minerals that are extracted from the cartilage during the simmering process. And a bone broth is only as good as the ingredients and bones used. For example, if soup bones come from animals that were injected with hormones and antibiotics, those same hormones and antibiotics would end up in the broth. As a pet parent understanding the quality of the ingredients in a bone broth for dogs or cats is imperative.
That’s why at Open Farm our bone broths are only made with humanely raised, high quality soup bones for dogs and cats. These bones are Global Animal Partnership certified and free of antibiotics and hormones. And because time is key to making a great bone broth, ours are gently simmered in small batches and cooked at low temperatures for 12 – 24 hours to maintain optimal flavor and natural nutrition.
What are the benefits of bone broth for dogs and cats?
If you’ve asked yourself: Is bone broth good for dogs or cats? The answer is, yes. The benefits of bone broth for dogs and cats comes primarily from the collagen. Collagen is found in bone, tendons, ligaments, organs, muscles, blood vessels, and hair. It’s often referred to as the “glue” that holds the body together. As humans and pets age, collagen production decreases. This is the main reason why joints, nails and skin get weaker as we age. For dogs and cats, collagen supports digestion, joint health, soft skins and coats, and liver detoxification and a healthy immune system.
1. Digestion – Collagen contains an amino acid that helps strengthen the protective lining in your pet’s digestive track, which improves nutrient absorption and reduces the risk of a leaky gut.
2. Joint Health – Collagen helps maintain cartilage integrity, which protects joints. For pets with joint injuries or arthritis, it helps alleviate some of the negative symptoms.
3. Skin & Coat – Collagen consumption can increase skin elasticity and help the body’s skin repair, therefore encouraging your body to form new collagen.
4. Liver Detoxification – As cleaning chemicals reside on floors and carpets, all of those toxins will reside in the liver. Collagen contains glycine, which helps neutralize the toxins in the liver and have it safely flushed out of the body.
5. Immune System – Collagen contains an essential amino acid that works as an immune system booster, and thanks to its antiviral properties it helps build antibodies.
What’s in Open Farm’s bone broth?
All of our bone broths are made from 100% human grade ingredients from human grade facilities. They’re packed with collagen and natural non-GMO superfoods to further strengthen your pet’s immune system, and nothing more. In fact, our bone broth recipes only contain six simple ingredients: bone broth, carrots, pumpkin, parsley, turmeric and cinnamon. And you can trace all those ingredients back to their source, thanks to the lot code on our packaging. Best of all, our bone broths are made specifically for pets – free of antibiotics, growth hormones, salt, garlic, and onion.
How do you serve bone broth?
Bone broth should be served as a topper. Simply shake, twist, pour, and serve to easily add additional moisture and nutrition to your pet’s food. There are three bone broth recipes to choose from: Harvest Chicken, Grass-Fed Beef & Homestead Turkey. Each broth can be served on top of dry food, wet food, or to rehydrate freeze dried raw meals. They can be served cool or warm. Once opened put them in the fridge and they’ll keep for seven days.
To make the serving process super simple, we’ve also created a feeding guide. Keep in mind that it’s just a guide – since it’s a high protein and low carb supplement, overfeeding shouldn’t be a concern.
Shop our Open Farm Bone Broths here!